A bit of time has passed since my last recipe and some things are now different. The most important change is the fact that I moved to Berlin and this is the reason I’m writing in English. As time allows me to do it, I will updated past recipes with English translations as well.
Berlin is an amazing city and I loooove being here, but it’s the winter holidays and I’m away from my friends and family. The other day I was feeling a bit sad and melancholic and decided this was the perfect excuse to bake some cookies. (Sadness away!)
Linzer cookies were an obvious choice as they’re perfect for Christmas and they’re full for nutty goodness and butter.
Here they are:
120g of powdered sugar
300g all purpose flour
100g almond flour
230g of butter at room temperature
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
150g raspberry jam
A bit of cold water
A cookie cutter
- In a large bowl, mix the butter with a whisk or mixer until creamy. Add egg yolks, nutmeg and vanilla and stir. Sift the sugar over the mixture and mix again until combined
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and almond flour and then combine them with the butter and egg yolk mixture first wit the mixer and then by hand, rubbing the flours in the butter.
- At this point the mixture should look like coarse bread crumbs. Add the lemon juice and mix. If the dough doesn’t come together add some cold water. The quantity depends on the level of moisture in the almond flour and size of the egg yolks so just add little by little until a nice dough, not to very wet forms.
- Avoid working the dough too much in order to keep the cookies as buttery and soft as possible.
- When the dough has come together, shape it into a ball, wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with paper. Separate the dough into two pieces and roll each one into large discs. You can roll them between lightly floured pieces of parchment paper, to avoid a messy kitchen.
- Cut out cookies in desired shapes, keeping into account you will need two pieces to stick together: one with a shape cut out and one full.
- Place the cut shapes in the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes and on the tray and then place them on a cooling rack.
- When they’re completely cooled spread jam on the full sides of the cookies and place on top one with a shape cut out.
- Dust the cookies with powdered sugar.
- Eat, enjoy reasons to go to the gym.